Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 10:39:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, jehamby@lightside.com, jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.x release question

> > argument, I was thinking of your "if they want it, let them write code
> > and submit it for core team approval" argument.
> >
> > If people really wanted persistance as badly as you claim they do, they
> > would be willing to write code (according to that argument, anyway).
>
> Ahh, so that's the way it works.
>
> OK, here goes:
>
> I'm going to be committing code to the FreeBSD source tree that will
> enable new and wonderful laptop support.  This will allow most laptops
> to work wonderfully, modulo a few bugs, but it's a step in the right
> direction and it's 'the direction' we need to take in FreeBSD.
>
> However, it will certainly break existing support for most desktop users
> which user serial/network/disk device drivers.  However, if it's
> important for them to have things working the way they've expect to in
> the past, they should either replace their desktop machines with fast
> laptops or submit code to fix the problems with the existing code-base
> that doesn't fit into the new 'swappable' system."
>
> Needless to say, this attitude won't buy me any friends.

Nonsense.  I fully support you, if you can show that this is truly "the
right direction".  I kind of doubt you can do that, but I'm willing
to give you the benefit of the doubt.

And I will be happy to support you both loudly, and verbosely in any
forum you want to discuss this.

We all know that true progrees comes only trough revolution, not evolution;
if we didn't believe this, we'd all be doing our research SCO, since
their CDROM is $20 cheaper than the FreeBSD CDROM.

Re: my persistance arguments: these are exactly the same arguments that
members of the core team present when anyone complains about missing
functionality of any kind.  They are the same arguments the core team
used against Richard regarding the make system.  They are the same
areguments Poul and company used agains Garrett regarding devconf.
They are the same arguments Garret used against me regarding ISO
networking support.

If the argument is acceptable for core team members to use, it's
acceptable for non-core-team members.  Clearly, the converse is
true: if the argument is unacceptable for non-core memebrs, it's
unacceptable for everyone.  Including you.  Including me.  Including
Jordan.

The only way a society of individuals can remain intact is by appling
all standards uniformly to all members.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org