Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:09:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird kernel problem

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 10:03:42AM +0000, Mark Powell wrote:
> > I thought I was aware of the usual cause of this problem; userland &
> > kernel out of sync; but as I explained I've rebuilt the two systems and
> > checked that both have the same kernel, same top command, same shared
> > libraries.
> >   So it must be the boot loader then? Why would this make the kernel
> > appear to take up so much memory on just the one system?
>
> Most likely explanation is that your userland/kernel are not in fact
> in sync, and kldstat is reading garbage instead of the actual stats
> (similarly for the other problems).

?? Same kernel, same top command, same shared libraries used by the top
command on both machines. I have updated both machines to 4.2S at the same
time. I have done "make world" on both machines at the same time. I have
rebuilt the kernel on both machines from the same config file.
  How can they be out of sync?
  I'm aware of the usual reasons why this problem occurs. However, this
time I just can't seem to make it go away using the normal fixes. If you
could point me at the section of the FAQ which specifies a method to fix
this problem, that I've not already tried, I'd be more than happy. That is
why I've posted he and detailed that I've already done what would be
suggested in the FAQ.
  Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key