Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 04:39:24 +0800
From:      sweeting@neuronet.com.my
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   help pls : how to optimise mail server response

I apologise for asking this question again but had
little response last time and now it has become a
serious problem since a client is complaining
as a result of the following :

The problem is that they are having a lot of difficulty
collecting mail from the mailhub I set up for them
on a P166 FreeBSD box with 64 MB RAM.
We are a webcompany with 2 MB line to the same
ISP that our customer is dialling into. (We are not the ISP)

Een over a LAN, when I ping the FreeBSD box, the very
first request _always_ times out.
(Almost as if the machine is waking up)

So, the only causes of trouble I can think of are :

1) network card. (it's a 3Com).
   which do you all recommend ?

2) DNS -  is handled by a DEC Alpha 500 (runnign DU) which is
   possibly in need of RAM (it's handling mail, and 4 webservers, X term,
   and DNS for 50 domains.... somebody once told me that each domain
   should have 1 MB RAM.)

3) Jammed network at the ISP

4) I configured it inefficiently (config files below)

In order to reduce the timeouts and inability to contact the
mailserver (2 complaints I am receiving), what action would
you take ?

I'm already considering :
1) changing the network card
2) move the DNS to the same machine
3) increasing the timeouts .... but I think that that is not
   really a satisfactory solution but rather avoiding the real problem.

Apologies since this must seem so pathetic compared to the
huge systems most of you are running without problem.
Thank you very much in advance,

Chas

----------------------------

configuration :

A DEC box is running the webserver and virtual domain
for our client :  "company.com.my"    xxx.xxx.xxx.aaa

The FreeBSD box "mailhub.com.my"  xxx.xxx.xxx.bbb
receives mail for  "mail.company.com.my"
by using the changes to rule S98 in sendmail.

== Zone file for "company.com.my" ==

company.com.my.     IN      SOA     us.com.my. postmaster.us.com.my. (
                        23      ; Serial
                        300     ; Refresh - 5 minutes
                        60      ; Retry - 1 minute
                        1209600 ; Expire - 2 weeks
                        43200 ) ; Minimum - 12 hours
;
                        IN      NS              us.com.my.
                        IN      NS              relay1.jaring.my.
                        IN      MX              10 mail
                        IN      A               xxx.xxx.xxx.aaa
www                     IN      CNAME           company.com.my.
mail                    IN      MX              10 mail
mail                    IN      A               xxx.xxx.xxx.bbb

== user mapping in sendmail.db on the freebsd mail hub ==

user1@company.com.my		user1
user2@company.com.my		user2
user3@company.com.my		user3
user4@company.com.my		user4
..etc

== clipped from sendmail.cf ==

Cwlocalhost
# file containing names of hosts for which we receive email
Fw-o /etc/sendmail.cw

== clipped from sendmail.cw ==

company.com.my
mail.company.com.my