Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:00:26 -0200 (BRST)
From:      Edson Brandi <ebrandi.listas@uol.com.br>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a CDROM based Firewall

Hi

The current version of the LiveCD comes being used successfully in some
interesting functions, such as firewall, router, frontend webserver in a
web farming, desktop, etc

Currently it mount in mfs

/dev
/etc
/home
/root
/var
/usr/local/etc

and optionally can mount all they using virtual disk nodes (plus
/usr/local  and /usr/X11R6), but after startup it continues using the
COMPACT DISC for / and others FS.

The design was initiated to supply the necessities of some members of our
user group, therefore at that moment we do not have knowledge of none
another project with the same objectives.

I make several changes in script tool set in last days, I merged two
original scripts into one, using dialog menus, this alteration allows  a
bigger control on the process of generation of the ISO, but we continue
to improve the capacity of detecting the partitions in disks IDE, whitout
user intervention.

As it revealed useful the Brazilian community, us we believe that it can
be useful to all the FreeBSD community and any aid to improve it will be
well coming.

Best regards

Edson Brandi
FUGSPBR Founder

Ps. Sorry for my bad english ;-)

Jan 15, 2002 at 12:06:41AM -0500, Nathan Mace wrote:
>> what do you guys think of a "free" style licenced BSD based firewall on a
>> bootable CDROM?  i know that suse linux provides this as a linux based
>> product but it is commerical, and i'm not sure how popular it is or how well
>> it works.

>Take a look at
>
>http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2158+0+current/freebsd-advocacy
>
>which is information about a "FreeBSD Live CD" project which sounds like
>it could support exactly the sort of functionality you suggest.

[ ]'s Edson
                                                ,        ,
   Edson Brandi                                /(        )`
   Supervisor de Operacoes - UOL               \ \___   / |
   Fone:   0XX11 96555470                      /- _  `-/  '
           0XX11 32244103                     (/\/ \ \   /\
   ICQ at Work:  32512639                     / /   | `    \
   ICQ at Home: 100503189                     O O   ) /    |
Transforme seu PC numa Workstation Unix.      `.___/`    /
    Visite http://freebsd.ag.com.br             `-----' /