Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:15:22 -0000
From:      "James Raftery" <jraftery@wrdp.com>
To:        "James Housley" <jim@thehousleys.net>, "Corey Ralph" <corey.ralph@datafast.net.au>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bind problems

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Housley" <jim@thehousleys.net>
To: "Corey Ralph" <corey.ralph@datafast.net.au>;
<freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 3:02 AM

> Since I upgraded to 8.2.3 via
> CVSup in 4.2-STABLE some of my secondaries are suddenly saying my
> unpublished master is no longer authorative for some of my domains.

8.2.3 fiex some parser bugs that were present in previous versions.
Therefore it will refuse to load a zone on the basis of a syntax error
even tough it loaded on versions before 8.2.3. When a zone load fails
BIND stops serving authoritatively. When this happens, your slaves
cannot zone transfer.

Check the logs on your master server and fix whatever errors are
preventing it loading the zone. Then reload the master and reload the
slaves.

> I am getting "Received NOTIFY answer (!AA)" messages in my notify log

Unrelated. Versions of BIND before 8.2.3 didn't implement NOTIFY
properly (it didn't set the AA bit on NOTIFY 'queries'). BIND 8.2.3 logs
when it sees a NOTIFY with such a problem (it still acts on them
though).

Regards,

james