Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:35:21 -0800
From:      Orion Hodson <hodson@aciri.org>
To:        Fritz Heinrichmeyer <fritz.heinrichmeyer@fernuni-hagen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: " Bad luck with Asus A7 V266 MB 2. try "

In message <001301c183de$035eb000$5507b084@fernunihagen.de>,Fritz Heinrichmeyer
 writes:
> Hello, i have two problems with the mentioned MB:
>
>  CMedia CMI8738 sound is silent at least with mpg123 and xmms.
>  (have seen similar reports in october). I here noise if i cat some files to
> /dev/dsp, however. Is there a patch for the cmi part
> so that it uses the dsp port regardless of sampling rate?

The CMI8738 is a supported audio chipset.  No patch is necessary.

There have been several reports that due to sound daemons being in
possession of the device when people are trying to access the device
directly.

>  apcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> port 0xd800-0xd8ff irq 10 at device 5.0 on pci0

   ^^^^ apcm0? pcm0?

What is output of:

     fstat /dev/dsp /dev/dspW /dev/audio

Have you checked the mixer settings?