Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:16:18 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely9.cicely.de>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 21066A tester for cpu_idle needed

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 01:27:54PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 17-Apr-2002 Bernd Walter wrote:
> > The patch is available under:
> > http://www.cosmo-project.de/~bernd/lca_cpu_idle.diff
> >
> > It implements usage of the power management capabilities of 21066A and
> > 21068A CPUs.
> > As my LCA system is an 21066 I can't test it myself.
>
> We should also look into possibly using call_pal wfi when we are idle perhaps.

Andrew already wrote about wtint.
He also wrote that that it didn't seem to have much effect
on the 21264 machine on which he tested.
As I found no sign of powermanagement capabilities in other CPUs
than the latest LCA generation I don't think it's worth it.

For the LCA case I want to export the variables via sysctl.
That way you can tune the reduced and non reduced speed.
The patch should only check if it works as promissed.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de