Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:03:07 -0500
From:      Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Charlie Watts <cewatts@frontier.net>
Subject:   Re: 3.3-RELEASE -> 4-STABLE

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 04:30:08 -0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
Charlie Watts <cewatts@frontier.net> wrote:

> I have a machine I want to upgrade from 3.3-RELEASE to 4-STABLE. UPDATING
> seems to indicate I can jump all the way to 4-STABLE, but I know folks
> have recommended a center step.

If you fresh install from 4.5 or later you can get a good
performance boost by enabling soft-updates. Just delete
then recreate your partitions in the "label/disklabel" part
of sysinstall, and be sure to toggle softupdates on for
your non "/" partitions like /usr. This takes some of the
"bite" out of having to do the backups and a fresh install.

I believe that FreeBSD 4.1 can cvsup/buildworld update
properly directly to 4.5-STABLE (not 4.5-RELEASE)

Regards,

Stephen Hilton
nospam@hiltonbsd.com