Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:06:55 +0000
From:      Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk
To:        Marwan Fayed <s0121430@cs.laurentian.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: voodoo3 support

Hi,

Here's my info on this

> If I remember right, there is only support for voodoo3 as a generic
> card/driver.  There is no 3D/Hardware acceleration support as of yet (nor
> do I believe those plans are in the works).

Incorrect.  The SVGA driver under 3.3.5/6 supports the Voodoo 3
accellerator.
As for future releases of X - XFree86 4.0 will support hardware
acceleration
in 2D and in 3D through DRI.  See http://www.precisioninsight.com (I think)

On XF86Setup, the card will be listed as voodoo3 on the bottom page.

3D support via OpenGL is will be here in XFree86 4.0 and Glide support is
available NOW, so in theory you should be able to play UT in FreeBSD.  You
will need some base libraries for Linux and linux emulation turned on.
The following page may help:-

linux.3dfx.com

> If you want true hardware support go to www.xigraphics.com (although it
> will cost you!)

I agree with this, but wait till XFree86 4.0 first.

> Marwan
>

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, George Cox wrote:
>
> > On 24/01 23:14, voodoo wrote:
> >
> > > Is the voodoo 3000 pci with 16 mb of ram supported becuase x runes
> > > really slow in on it and performance was really bad.

Check your BIOS for the options which have to be turned off in the 3DFX
quick installation guide.  These may slow the card down.