Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:42:43 -0400
From:      "Jean M. Vandette" <vandj@securenet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modifying MAXLOGNAME ?

At 11:00 PM 7/27/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Anyone ever changed
>
>MAXLOGNAME
>
>as defined in utmp.h:
>#define  UT_NAMESIZE     16
>
>and in sys/param.h: * MAXLOGNAME should be == UT_NAMESIZE+1 (see <utmp.h>)
>
>sys/param.h:#define     MAXLOGNAME      17	(includes NUL byte)
>
>and apparently in sys/acct.h and sys/proc.h and sys/user.h ?
>
>I want to increase this. Maybe to, say, 64 chars instead of 16.
>
>Suggestions ?

I don't know why you would want such a high number however,
if you're serious about this first get the full souces I would suggest
CVSUP to make sure everthing is up to date including the ports collection.

 - Install your fresh system, including all the sources.
 - Edit the value of UT_NAMESIZE in /usr/src/include/utmp.h to 64 (or
   whatever you want)
 - Edit the value of MAXLOGNAME in /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h to one
   greater than the value you gave UT_NAMESIZE (eg. 65)

Remake the world and your kernel.  Note that there are a lot of ports
that use the UT_NAMESIZE parameter, eg. the POP server.  You *must*
rebuild them on this machine for them to work properly. (ie. you cannot
install packages, or ports that were built on another system).

Regards

Jean M. Vandette