Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2013 04:12:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Velcro Leaf <velcroleaf@rocketmail.com>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hans.petter.selasky@bitfrost.no>, "freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: usb/177895: similar 1TB Western Digital "My Passports" - some load, some don't

> The stalled messages has nothing to do with the mass storage part. It sim=
ply indicates that some error happened during a USB control request.The USB=
 stack will re-try this particular message, so it is not directly dangerous=
.=0A=0A=0AWell, the drive doesn't actually work on the other computer, so s=
omething important is wrong.=A0 The fact that the other machine silently fa=
ils is maybe more telling?=0A=0A> After many years in the USB game I feel a=
 need to emphasize again, that many of the mass storage related errors repo=
rted here are not a USB HOST problem. There is a USB standard defined at ww=
w.usb.org, that we are trying to comply to.=0A=0AI totally respect that, bu=
t all these devices work with other OSs (which shall remain unnamed).=A0 Th=
ere's intellectual purity and then there's getting the freaking things to w=
ork.=A0 How do these other OSs deal with the quirks?=A0 Is it a matter of d=
ownloading piles of drivers?=0A=0AI do like the idea of a FreeBSD Seal of A=
pproval.=A0 It would save us all a lot of time.=0A=0AAny suggestion for fix=
ing the problem?=A0 (Other than the long term, but probably fruitless, sugg=
estion of complaining to Western Digital?)=0A