Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 12:38:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Kenneth Green - PRC <green@aries.isf.rl.af.mil>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tape drive Help

I have a 4gig Sun tape drive reported as:

(ahc0:4:0): "ARCHIVE Python 28454-XXX 4.BL" type 1 removable SCSI 2
st0(ahc0:4:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x8c, 512-byte blocks,
write-enabled

and a mt -f /dev/rst0 status reports:

Present Mode:   Density = 0x8c         Blocksize variable
---------available modes---------
Mode 0:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
Mode 1:         Density = X3.136-1986  Blocksize = 512 bytes
Mode 2:         Density = X3.39-1986   Blocksize variable
Mode 3:         Density = X3.54-1986   Blocksize variable

	At present, if I use dump to backup my system I am
unable to restore the dump on my freebsd system. Restore Reports
"tape read error: Input/output error". However, if
I take the tape over to a Solaris system with the exact same
tape drive attached to it, I am able to do a restore. (Also worth
noting, "tape read error: Input/output error" is also reported if
I attempt to restore a tape bad on the Solaris system (/dev/rmt/0bn)).
	My current hypothosis is that the problem has something
to do with the fact that the drive's blocksize (reported by
mt) is set to variable.
	Any thoughts on how to cure my problem? I'd like to be able
to read my old dumps on my freebsd system.

Charles Green