Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:39:50 +0100
From:      "Jakob Breivik Grimstveit" <jakob@grimstveit.no>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD Ripper Recommendation

On 12/18/06, Jason C. Wells <jcw@highperformance.net> wrote:

> What do you folks like for ripping CDs?  The ports tree descriptions
> need a little help sometimes.  I would like these features:
>
> - configurable MP3 bitrate
> - CDDB lookup and a user definable naming convention
> - graphical interface or very sensible CLI
> - level normalization
> - good error handling

I really enjoy abcde. Apart from a very sensible CLI, it should meet
most of your requirements. Error handling comes from using cdparanoia
(can be replaced with others as well), abcde has a highly configurable
encoding plugins. Give it a shot, build a sensible config-file of your
taste, and a CLI is not necessary anyways.

A tip in the end, though; consider ripping to something lossless first
(like FLAC), and then transcode to mp3. You might find ripping your
cd's once again when mp3 is overrun by the next best codec to be quite
tiresome.

Enjoy!

--
Jakob Breivik Grimstveit - http://grimstveit.no/jakob - +47 48298152