Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:17:22 -0700
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@encontacto.net>
To:        Andrew Matheson <drakFB@drak.com>
Cc:        Peter Brezny <pbrezny@purplecat.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Help host resolution mixup.

Quoting Andrew Matheson <drakFB@drak.com>:

| Peter,
| I had a similar problem with one of my domains a number of months ago.  It
| turned out that network solutions was providing old information about my name
| servers that they retrieved from a global database.  I hadn't updated the IP
| addresses associated with the name servers with the new ISP since it wasn't
| on their domain transfer form--I assumed they would do a forward lookup to
| resolve the names.  I was wrong.  The new ISP defaulted to using the old
| network solutions data rather than a forward lookup of the names I entered.
| It took quite some time and a long call to network solutions to figure out
| that this is what was going on.  You might double check with your new
| registrar and see if there's a form you haven't filled out yet to set the IP
| addresses associated with your name servers.  Now, if only I could remember
| the URL to the page that allowed querying of the global name server
| database...

I've had good luck with http://www.internic.net/cgi/whois but in this case
the strange thing is that both 209.16.228.148 209.16.228.149 show
    No match for nameserver "209.16.228.148".
    No match for nameserver "209.16.228.149".
That really makes it perplexing.  Where would one go to fix something
the isn't broken externally.  I have a couple of domains that have
had similar problems but they always show up on the above test.

I guess it is time for a call to NetSol.

ed

| Good Luck,
| Andrew Matheson
|

| >Thanks for the help John,
| >
| >Yes, ns1 and ns2.purplecat.net were both listed as hosts with
| >networksolutions, I attempted to modify their host record with netsol,
| >however, when i do, it correctly says that those hosts are no longer with
| >netsol...
| >
| >Seems like a glitch on their end.
| >
| >Peter Brezny
| >purplecat.net

       The illiterate of the 21st century will not be
             those who cannot read and write,
       but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn.
                                                --Alvin Toffler