Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 01:03:46 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net>, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I rename root?

root has been the name of the admin account on Unix systems for many years
now, at least least going back to the 70's and I presume to the earliest days
(though I don't go back *quite* that far with Unix).  It is a certainty that
many scripts and programs use "root" explicitly by name and if you eliminate
root you will run into trouble.

Perhaps  this is "wrong" but I promise you it will occur.

If you want to log in as admin, I'd suggest just vipw, copy the root line to
admin, thus creating two different user *names* for the single user *id* 0.
This shouldn't cause any trouble (though vipw might complain about it).  You
can log in as admin and the all the programs out there can call you root and
everybody should be happy.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org