Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:30:11 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: new kernel build method?

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 02:10:18PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <3A390FFF.CD3370E6@quake.com.au> Kal Torak writes:
> : But what is the old method? Is the old method doing:
> : cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> : /usr/bin/config KERNEL-NAME
> : cd ../../compile/KERNEL-NAME
> : make dep

^^^ as someone already said, this should be 'make depend'

> : make
> : make install

This is indeed the old method.

> :
> : Are we meant to be doing it from /usr/src using:
> : make buildkernel KERNEL=KERNEL-NAME
> : make installkernel KERNEL=KERNEL-NAME

This is the "Officially Sanctioned Update Procedure".

> If you are upgrading from one version of FreeBSD to another (even on
> the same branch), you should be useing the new method.  If you are
> building and rebuilding the kernel alot on the same version, then the
> old way is a little faster.

Plus, using the old way you can get rid of /usr/obj, which is a bonus for
machines with small disks like firewalls. Yes, it should have enough disk,
but it *is* taking up space, and it is a bit weird to have essentially *2*
base systems installed on one box, just to be able to build a kernel.

I like the new build/installkernel targets, and I use them on the machines
I reinstall every month or so, but I do think there are more reasons for
using the old method than people realize.

I actually read through the threads on -stable from last july again,
following the original HEADS UP from Kris Kennaway.

In Message-ID <Pine.BSF.4.21.0007101422320.6216-100000@freefall.freebsd.org>,
Kris says regarding make buildkernel, "Get into the habit of using it for
every kernel build you do."

I realize people can shoot themselves in the foot the old way, like
in the instance of a binutils/gcc change, but how often does that happen?

But then again, I don't have to "support" lots of people so why am I whining :)

--Stijn