Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:47:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ed Alley <alley1@llnl.gov>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: kern/47982: Minix fs offered for RELEASE 5.0

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> This is not very likely to float unless you can argue convincingly
> that it will have a sufficiently large user base to not simply rot in
> the tree.  Honestly, I think you'd have a very hard time of it; you'd
> be better off turning your code into a port.  Take a look at the
> audio/aureal-kmod port for an example of a port that installs a
> loadable module.
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org

It's not necessary that it "floats as you say".

First of all it only exists as a module now! It does not
compile in "static". I wonder if all of the countless
little modules that exist in /book/kernel now are as
useful as an FS even though it is only a research FS
and not a "production" FS.

Secondly, I've never heard of an FS presented as a "port".

Thirdly, The VFS in FreeBSD changes enough between each
RELEASE, that a port is unfeasible. It would mean
changing the port after each new release of FreeBSD!
That is contrary to the spirit of a port, which is
designed to function mainly in USERLAND!

Thirdly, The reason that I submitted the FS was to try
and reduce the e-mail requests that I'm getting about
diffs for the FS. There seems to be some students around
the world interested in getting Minix in FreeBSD.