Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 21:54:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Reid <root@edmweb.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logging pppd connect & disconnect

> > Is there any way to log when users connect and disconnect with pppd?
>
> Sure, it's a piece of cake.  How do your users startup PPP?  On my box
> they run a little shell script which is customized for each system, so
> it would be trivial to have it append start/stop entries to a file.

Um, I'm not set up like that... The users don't log in like you'd expect,
they don't even get a login prompt. They go straight into pppd. All
authentication is done with PAP.

It's done with a line in /etc/ttys:

ttyd1   "/usr/sbin/pppd -detach 115200" unknown on secure

This makes the winsock scripts extremely simple, but it doesn't leave
much opertunity for customized logging.

This is well-explained at http://www.ssimicro.com/~jeremyc/ppp.html. I
knew this sort of setup (right into pppd, no login prompt) was possible,
but I couldn't get it working until I read that web page.

If necessary, I'll hack pppd to log connects and disconnects. But that's
something I'd rather avoid if possible, as I have a hard time trying to
grok other people's code.

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
| Email: steve@edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
| PGP (2048/9F317269) Fingerprint: 11C89D1CD67287E68C09EC52443F8830 |
|          -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, IANAL. --          |