Date:      Sat, 11 May 1996 14:47:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        garya@ics.com (Gary Aitken)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partitioned disk, can't hard boot

> I have a 2.1 system running on a disk partitioned with the root
> partition set up for win95 and the second partition for freebsd.
>
> If I boot win95 first, then do a soft reboot, I can boot freebsd
> fine; but if I do a hard reboot (power cycle or reset), freebsd
> starts the boot process (I get the first few devices identified),
> but then I get a panic:
>
> panic: cannot mount root

[ ... ]

> Can anyone give me some clues as to why I can't hard boot
> and possible scenarios to fix it?

Windows 95 moves some PnP hardware around, and you have BSD set
up to find it in the moved place instead of the default place.

Turn off PnP in the hardware and jumper/software-config it to
the locations expected by Windows95, and the problem should go
away.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---