Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 00:11:15 -0400
From:      Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Athlon Processors

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 08:33:36PM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Well, since it didn't, I might as well explain the problem here too.
> There are at least two major problems with VIA chips:

[data curruption on VIA KT133/133A systems by pushing PCI and memory bus]

Are you sure about that?

I've pushed systems like that _very_ hard and not seen any problems,
with Linux, NetBSD, or FreeBSD.

The only trouble I have is IDE bus resets with CD-ROM drives, especially
in FreeBSD. Since the same thing happens with a lot of IDE systems, I
generally blame IDE; it's a broken-by-design interface in the first
place.

If this is really true, I would think it should be fairly easy to prove
it.

Now, go back in time about 2 years, and I wouldn't doubt it, because
there were problems with the first VIA KT chipsets, and even the AMD
architecture in general. Everything I've read suggests those problems
have been fixed.

If not, then it should be fairly easy to demonstrate this. I'm willing
to donate time and a system to this since I'd really like to know.
In fact, if this _really is_ true, then it would be a good idea for
a substantial number of people to try and verify it: the VIA based
motherboards for AMD are some of the best out there, as PC motherboards
go anyway.

--
"Star Wars Moral Number 17: Teddy bears are dangerous in herds."