Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2017 20:14:45 +0100
From:      Dan Lukes <dan@obluda.cz>
To:        freebsd-security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 11.0 end-of-life

On 10.12.2017 6:55, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> we have only two windows a year when I can actually
> deploy it (after testing) -- from 12/26 to 12/30, and from the Monday
> after the first Saturday in June until the Friday before the first
> Monday in September.

Like me ...

> I'll be rolling out 11.1 later this
> month, but if 11.2 were to happen in March I'd be SOL before I could
> even think about upgrading.

I'm maintaining FreeBSDs installation in few independent companies
(about 30 servers or so in total) and I'm in risk of the same.

I has been forced to create workaround to mitigate the consequences.

I'm have local copy of source repository with some own patches[1] already.

Thus I can just back-port 11.2 SA (if there will be some) into our 11.1
repository to support 11.1 for two next upgrade windows (e.g. to end of
2018 if 11.2 will be released on March).

Dan

1) There are few bug reported, including patches, ignored by FreeBSD's
committers for long time. But most of our local patches are related to
enhancements we are missing, support for unsupported devices or so.