Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 22:26:47 -0600
From:      nate@sneezy.sri.com (Nate Williams)
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new install(1) utility

> Hey, two more people in agreement.  Or at least partly.  I am not
> so sure about having install do the cmp, I think that part is best
> left externally.  My reasoning here is that if the cmp is inside
> install we will exec both install and cmp no mater what, if we do a
> cmp || install
> it would be possible to save the exec of install if the cmp
> successeds.

I think Poul's ideas of using his memmap/memcmp is the way to go, and I
think that's what Steven is doing.  This is a much bigger win than even
the regular cmp program (faster since it's very specific), and it does
save us from doing the actual install.

> Using cksum is *not* the way to go, we already have Pouls benchmarks
> of cmp vs cksum on this, and cksum is not fail safe, it is possible
> for 2 files to have the same checksum but contain different data,
> very unlikely, but possible.

I would have to see it to believe it.  And, I don't remember any of
Poul's benchmarks that you are speaking of just that he said his
memmap/memcmp stuff for CTM was faster than cksums.

> I do see the need to have install have the -t option to copy time
> stamps.

We are still going to have problems because libraries are going to be
newer even if we save the timestamps.  If I delete the library I used
during installation, any library I build will have a different timestamp
than the one I'm comparing against.

> Bruce, would this mean we could drop the ranlib after installing
> libraries?

The ranlib option after install is a moot point IFF we no longer install
the libraries if they are the same.

Really, I'm going to quit following up after this. :(

Nate