Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:53:05 +0200
From:      Edward Tomasz =?utf-8?Q?Napiera=C5=82a?= <trasz@freebsd.org>
To:        xmj@chaot.net
Cc:        dchagin@freebsd.org, allanjudge@freebsd.org, emaste@freebsd.org, wblock@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q2/2015 emulation status report -- draft

On 0714T1059, Johannes Jost Meixner wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> attached a draft for the emulation Q2/15 report due today.
>
> Feel free to rephrase, clarify, specify, etc. anything (it's a draft. ;-
> )

Looks good!  Few minor nits inline.

> Likewise.. if you could turn the XML soup I created into something an
> xmlparser can parse, that'd be nice.

I'm not sure if that's actually that important; the Quarterly Reports'
editors will probably do that by themselves.

[..]

>     <!-- Required section. -->
>       <!-- Do not worry if you are not a native English speaker. -->
>         FreeBSD's Linux emulation layer. After more than a year and a half,
>         <!-- TODO: dimitry, how long did you work on this? -->
>         we have been able to merge Dmitry Chagin's changes to the Kernel, VM subsystem,
>         <!-- XXX: I don't which parts are all concerned here, just put them in please ;-) -->

I'd change it to just say "... year and a half, Dmitry Chagin's changes
to the Linux binary emulation subsystem were merged into ...".

>         binary emulation into FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT. Before merging the more
>         than 115 individual changes into base/head, Ed Maste and Edward Tomasz
>         Napierala were able to help by reviewing and improving the changes' code
>         quality.</p>

s/changes' //

>         10-STABLE, with the current 10.2 release cycle in mind. We are hoping to bring
>         have that backport ready before 10.2-PRERELEASE turns into 10.2-RELEASE.</p>
>         Differential Revision that will eventually lead to our having both 32bit and
>         64bit ports for CentOS 6. Port review activity has been started during the
>         BSDCan conference's developer summit, and will be continued extensively during the Cambridge Developer Summit.</p>
>         64bit compatible frameworks available by Q4/2015.</p>
>       <!-- xmj note:
>         Someone's previously been working on centos7 ports. I do find them
>         in the cambrige devsummit '14 notes, but don't currently recall who did that or
>         where they were stored. Let's get a call for help out, so that volunteers can get
>         FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT running, and bring in/polish the CentOS7 64bit-only port versions/etc.
>         Likewise for recent Fedora; Vassilis had a port for Fedora 19 or 20 - they're at 22 at the moment, I think.
>         https://wiki.freebsd.org/201407DevSummit/LinuxEmulation -->
> on a 11.0-CURRENT system. Please report any bug you may encounter, or any
> oddity, via bugzilla.</p>
> in addition to the three already-running solutions mentioned above.
>         Some work in that direction was done by <!-- name here -->, and
>         <!-- github url here --> includes a highly experimental ports userland
>         to get that running. We'd like to clean that up, and bring it in before
>         Q2/2016.</p>
>     <sponsor>Perceivon Hosting Inc.</sponsor>
>
>     <sponsor>ScaleEngine</sponsor>
>
>     <!-- was the review of lemul stuff sponsored by a Foundation grant? -->
>     <sponsor>The FreeBSD Foundation</sponsor>

Yes, it was.