Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 14:47:18 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>
Cc:        dennis <dennis@et.htp.com>, paul@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCO and high prices

> > wrong. SCOs customers didn't wince when they raised their prices because
> > most of their BIG customer are under contract and the rest of them are so
> > rich it doesn't matter. SCO doesn't participate in the low end market, so
>
> 	you could be right.   i wouldn't know.

I disagree with Dennis.  Most of SCO's business is in POS systems and
similar other products.  All of the Nissan dealerships have a SCO system
(whether they realize it or not), and many GM dealership body shops also
have SCO systems.  These are typically the type of systems SCO sells to,
and also the biggest reason *why* it doesn't matter that they are
running 10 year old technology software.  (SvsV3.2)

Because these systems are sold in complete systems AND the integrators
are the ones paying the price, the price increase of the OS isn't seen
by the end user.  The integrator just adds more money to the system and
sells it.  The integrator doesn't much care, since they are already
making a killing on the application software AND hardware they sell to
the end user, and SCO is already giving them a big price break as it is.

The only people it's hurting is the end user, and SCO doesn't care much
abou them anymore.  They simply can't compete in that market due partly
to the influx of the free unix clones.  The type of client SCO is
looking for is *not* the same kind of client FreeBSD is looking for.
SCO can impress their client base with big $$, because those kind of
people implicate high $$ with great software, and unfortunately don't
take the time to find out the facts.

FreeBSD can't break into that market because of that very reason.  Note
the type of responses in the article Jonathan quoted.  Those who are
anti-freeware will continue to be so unless they have to be big $$ for
software which may/may not be any better/supported than freeware.  When
you are overworked, it's alot easier to assume $$ == support than to do
your homework and find out the facts.

Nate