Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 23:30:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nathan Lawson <nlawson@statler.csc.calpoly.edu>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ownership of files/tcp_wrappers port

> On Mon, 22 Jan 1996, Nathan Lawson wrote:
>
> > Secondly, I was wondering why the tcp_wrappers distribution didn't make it
> > into the source tree instead of being a port.  It's a pretty small program
> > that hasn't received too many changes recently.  It's very worthwhile and
> > libwrap.a can be linked into portmap and ypserv a lot more easily (even
> > making this the default, perhaps).
>
>   Personally, I've always considered xinetd to the be the superior
> solution to the access control problem, since it doesn't incur the extra
> overhead of a fork+exec for every connection.

This is a good idea, but I'd still like the libwrap.a or an equivalent
library to link ypserv and portmap against by default.  I think xinetd is
a bit too big and possibly buggy, whereas tcp_wrappers is a bit smaller, but
requires some fork overhead.  I'd _prefer_ to see tcp_wrappers in the
standard dist, with xinetd as a port, but that is my opinion only.

Let's not have this distract us from my main point, which is that some kind
of access control (whether xinetd or tcp_wrappers) should be installed by
default, with easy-to-uncomment rules there for those people that need to
get access control done quickly.

--
Nate Lawson   \Yeah, I was dreaming through the 'howzlife', yawning, car black,
Owner:         \when she told me 'mad and meaningless as ever...' and a song