Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 01:09:41 +0200
From:      "Jens Greven" <jens@jensgreven.de>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Which is better ?

Hi!

For running on a laptop, FBSD is cool, because since DOS6.2 I've never seen
an OS booting so quick, so it's possible to shut down and reboot when
neccessary. But you should make sure, that your hardware is supported. I
myself have a Dell Inspiron 8000 with nVidia Geforce 2 Go, and it's really a
pain in the a**... No chance to get XFree running under FreeBSD (I've heard
that there are Linux drivers from nVidia) and as the drivers cannot be
published to open source (cause nVidia uses 3rd party software, i. e. OpenGL
from SGI) we have to wait until they feel the need of publishing FBSD
drivers as well...

I would encourage you all to sign the petition under
http://nvidia.netexplorer.org to encourage them!

If you find your hardware supported, I think FBSD is the "better" OS
(compared to Linux), because Linux looks like a playground for geeks to me.
FBSD makes a really professional impression, and a kind of "centralized
management" as you find it at FSBD helps to keep up quality standars. If you
look at current Linux distributions, you find a lot of bulls**t published
with them, a basic system install takes 4 CDs and 4 GB of HD space, and
you'll only use a few of those packages installed.

But if your hardware ist not 100% supported by the UN*X of your choice, even
Windows might be the "better" OD for you. After all, every system has it's
pro's and con's. For example, if you work in a company, where most documents
are MS-Office-documents, this might at leat force you to keep both OS'es on
your system.

Choice is yours!

Jens