Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 16:51:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        alex@big.endian.de (Alexander Langer)
Cc:        bp@butya.kz (Boris Popov), dima@Chg.RU (Dmitry S. Sivachenko), freebsd-i18n@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gettext

> > 	This is not correct. Not everybody knows English well, these are
> > mostly newbies and having translated docs and program messages is a real
> > help for them.
>
> Yes. But while I prefer German menus in GUI-programs, for example, I
> really dislike, that the same LANG var affects those stuff.
>
> Imagine a bug-report: How do _you_ want to understand an error message
> in German??

I have to agree with this.

One of the biggest mistakes that Whistle made was to translate log
messages from various programs.  When people request support, it is
nearly impossible to support them based on the log file contents.

I can read most Spanish, German, French, Italian, Latin, some Greek,
some Swahili, some Russian, etc., but unless it's in Kana, I can't
read Japanese at all.

Guess where the most non-English support situations occur?

IBMs AIX was given as an example; AIX always has an error message
number associated with error messages.  At the very least, you can
look up the number in an English message catalog, and see what is
happening that way.

One thing that we've adopted at Whistle is to use a machine-readable
logging format.  Not all code uses this, but for the code that does,
one can tell the internal state of any automaton or other program
just by looking at the log files.  Ideally, we will eventually modify
syslogd to maintain state information as messages get logged.

Obviously, it's possible to translate machine readable logs on
viewing, rather than in the log files themselves.  And that's what
you really want to have happen.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---