Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:48:49 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer  kernels

Greg Lehey wrote:

> I'd *far* prefer to get both methods into line with each other so that
> it doesn't make any difference whether you do a 'make buildkernel' in
> /usr/src or a 'make all' in /usr/src/sys/compile/FOO.

In general I agree, but I think `make buildkernel' should continue to
use /usr/obj as to not prevent concurrent crossbuilds. Having `make all'
work from .../compile is preferred. I think this difference is
acceptable or even unavoidable.

Another difference is that make buildkernel should resolve dependencies
if possible. They should behave the same in all other aspects, though.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org