Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 06:24:55 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Web DATABASE(WAS Re: Bt848 on P55T2P4-P100oc)

Richard Tobin:
 |I'm using Win/TV (that's the Euro version - teletext instead of intercast).
 |
 |> Any problems?
 |
 |Yes; it can't keep up with the frames at full (PAL) window size when
 |the screen resolution is 1024x768.  No problem at 800x600.  Presumably
 |the screen refresh is using too much of the video memory bandwidth, so
 |reducing the refresh rate would also fix it, and you *may* not have so
 |much problem with NTSC (640x480x30 instead of 768x576x25).
 |
 |[Presumably it accesses 4MB in wider chunks than 2MB, otherwise it
 |wouldn't be able be display at all!]
 |
 |I guess this is a problem with single-ported video memory in general.

I had my Wincast working fine in 1024x768x16 w/ a 2Meg EDO DRAM Hercules
Stingray 64/Video (refresh of 70Hz).  I'll bet your right in that on your
card at the higher res, the refresh circuitry is tying up too much of the
DRAM memory bandwidth, but it doesn't appear that all single-ported RAM
results in this problem.

Randall