Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 23:40:53 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        nik@freebsd.org, jhb@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Doc Build broken *sigh*

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 11:04:00AM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: Doc Build broken *sigh*
> Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:39:26 +0000
>
> > Doc packaging is a solved problem.  Take a look at
> >
> >     ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/packages/
> >
> > If you can sanely present that as a list of {doc x language x format}
> > options in sysinstall then go for it.
>
> Erm, I shouldn't need to add anything extra to sysinstall if docs
> are already "proper" packages, e.g. have their own subcategory
> and appear in the INDEX.  That's what I was referring to - what
> were you referring to? :)

Docs are available as packages in as much as you can do

   pkg_add -r ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/packages/mumble

and get a document installed in the specified format.

There are currently 316 packages to choose from, which is what you get
when have 21 different documents available in seven different output
formats in half a dozen languages.  As we add more documents (and
translations of existing documents) that number is going to go through
the roof.

I submit that simply having one big "documentation" category is not the
way forward here, and that sysinstall is going to have to ask the user
something like

   STEP 1

     Please choose from this list of documents:

       [ ] Handbook
       [ ] Porter's Handbook

   STEP 2

     Please select the language and character sets you want your
     documentation formatted in.

       [ ] US English (ISO 8859-1)
       [ ] Spanish (ISO 8859-1)
       [ ] Japanes (eucJP)

   STEP 3

     Please select the format you want

       [ ] One big HTML file (great for searching/printing)
       [ ] Lots of small HTML files (better for web browsing)
       [ ] Postscript
       [ ] PDF
       [ ] Plain text

Even that's not perfect -- what happens if the user selects a document
at step 1, and selects a language in step 2 that the document hasn't
been translated to yet?  You could swap steps 1 and 2 around, but it's
still an ugly interface for the user to have to navigate through.

I don't have the headspace at the moment for this sort of UI problem.
Would libh, with it's UI primitives, make any of this easier?  I also
have no idea how our other operating system brethren solve this problem.