Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:56:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/42967: Sony MemoryStick problems with umass driver

>Number:         42967
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Sony MemoryStick problems with umass driver
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD tonberry.chocobo.cx 4.7-RC FreeBSD 4.7-RC #3: Thu Sep 19 09:40:59 EDT 2002 root@tonberry.chocobo.cx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TONBERRY i386

	Sony VAIO PCG-GR300 laptop computer
The PCG-GR300 has a built-in MemoryStick reader, which appears as a USB
device. Under previous version of FreeBSD (at least up to and including
4.6-RELEASE), this device was not recognized as a umass device, and
registered only with ugen. Under 4.7-PRERELEASE and -RC, it is now seen
as a umass device, but does not appear to work properly. Here is sampling
of the dmesg output concerning the device:

umass0: Sony USB Memory Stick Slot, rev 1.10/1.83, addr 2, 8070i (ATAPI) over CBI
umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0 as device 0
umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-in stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT

Note that his delays booting quite a bit, since it repeats the above timeout
messages 5 times before continuing to load the system, and it takes several
seconds for each one to display.

Under some circumstances, connecting another umass device can cause the
internal reader to function, though access is very slow. Simple directory
listings take around 10 seconds. Here is a dmesg section when I connected
my MSAC-US1 MemoryStick reader:

umass0: Sony USB Memory Stick Slot, rev 1.10/1.83, addr 2
umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-in stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
[ repeat last 3 lines 4 more times ]
umass1: Sony MSAC-US1, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 6
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da0: <Sony MSAC-US1 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 20KB/s transfers
da0: 61MB (126848 512 byte sectors: 2H 9S/T 80C)
da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-in stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-in stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-in stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-in stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
lun 0
da1: <Sony MSC-U02 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da1: 150KB/s transfers
da1: 7MB (15840 512 byte sectors: 0H 0S/T 0C)

>How-To-Repeat:
	Boot a 4.7-PR or RC kernel on a PCG-GR300 laptop with USB enabled.