Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 17:33:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        zeno@serv.net (Sean T. Lamont .lost.)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm at the end of my rope

Sean T. Lamont  .lost. said:

> For approximately six months, a server we have been using for public
> shell access has been crashing every 24-144 hours. The times are
> essentially random.

Have you asked for help before on the list?  Lots of things can cause
the system to be unstable, depending on the applications being run.  The
only way to make any system bulletproof is to understand how to configure
it.  Every version of U**X has it's own personality.

Things that can bite you are:
	1)	Swap space.
	2)	Mbuf space.
	3)	Hacker attacks (very unfriendly users.)
	4)	Typical U**X attacks can make the system less stable
		and require careful tuning.  (Like DOS attacks, such
		as forkbombs.)

There are other things that can hurt also.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org