Date:      Thu, 03 Apr 1997 13:34:49 -0700
From:      mike allison <mallison@konnections.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, proff@suburbia.net, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internal clock

Nate Williams wrote:

> Terry Lambert writes:

> > > Really, the issue of putting a man on Mars is designing a good space
> > > ship, not actually building the darn ship.
>
> And, if we design the space-ship correctly, it'll solve all of our
> transportation problems since a space-ship is just a special purpose
> 'transportation' device.  So, if we break the problem up into cleanly
> divisable component areas, it'll affect *all* vehicles we design from
> that point on, then all of our transportation problems will go away.

I have to disagree in the sense of design supra building.  I think
design is fine, but there has to be the ability to follow and implement
the design during its life.  We sit here joking about Charlie Babbage
but his designs, albeit excellent and workable, philosophically, were
not practicable and weren't for decades.

Look at the space program.  Now I don't know JS about NASA, but I know
we got to the moon on Tube Technology.  The design was right and the
tools we're adequate for the job.  Newton and Galileo (however you spell
it) might have DESIGNED us to the moon, but it took the technology to
make it happen.  No problems were solved until that ship left the
ground.  {well, that's not true.  The desigh theories led to many other
useful things building up to the event.  The automobile has parts of
probably every invention and discovery known to man all rolled up in one
package....)

Designing a solution means that POTENTIALLY, all of our transportation
problems go away....

-Mike