Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 18:07:46 -0500
From:      "coady" <coady@egroups.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Stan Brown" <stanb@netcom.com>
Subject:   RE: Road Runer cable modem network, and FreeBSD

I'm using FreeBSD 3.3 Release with a Road Runner (MediaOne)
cable modem in the Boston area.  I just set it up last week,
so I'm a BSD newbie.

It was not problem for me to get it working, once I was able
to get FreeBSD to recognize my ethernet card.  With the network
card and cable modem both plugged in and working, I just selected
DHCP when configuring the ethernet adapter in the sysinstall
Networking --> Interfaces menu.  It took about four seconds and
sysintall bought up the correct parameters on the screen
(IP address, host name, DNS server, etc.).  If DHCP fails,
sysinstall will bring up an error message and prompt you
for the parameters.  That happened to me when the "ep" driver in
FreeBSD was not correctly recognizing the base address of my old
3COM ISA Etherlink III 3C509 based network adapter.

During boot up, if DHCP fails, you will get a bunch of error
messages at the tail end of the boot that relate to starting up
network services.  If DHCP succeeds, then "ifconfig -a" will show
you the IP address you were assigned and "ping" etc. should work
no problem.

BTW, if you do have to run sysinstall more than once, you
might want to check your /etc/rc.conf file to make sure it
didn't get a bunch of junk added to it.

At least in Boston, no login is required for the cable network.
The only two places you need a login are:
  1) checking your POP email
  2) dialing into the network via a phone line (MediaOne calls
     this "remote access").
These situations are no different than any other ISP.

Allen