Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 11:52:28 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        gtc@aloft.att.com (gary.corcoran)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC200 SCSI card? (PCI interrupts)

gary.corcoran stands accused of saying:

> >PCI interrupts are lettered (INTA, INTB, INTC, INTD), not numbered, and
> >that INTA on one slot is _NOT_ connected to INTA on any other slot.
>
> Is the non-connection between same-letter PCI interrupts in different
> slots only on good (versatile) motherboards, or is that part of the
> PCI spec?   I was under the impression that at least _some_ MBs shared
> their PCI interrupts...?

The normal convention with PC motherboards is that devices will normally
only generate INTA, and that INTA on each slot is routed seperately.
Beyond this, I'm not so sure.  I believe that other interrupts can
be used by PCI-PCI bridge chips, but I'm not clear on that.

Certainly there have been some motherboards where INTA was bridged across
several slots; these all fall into the 'very broken' category.