Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 18:11:49 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
Cc:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, torstenb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merit radius detail files?

On Wed, Sep 16, 1998 at 09:48:27AM -0400, William Bulley wrote:
> According to Andreas Klemm:
> >
> > Well, you only want to know, who is using your software and if people
> > make modifications, you don't want modifications of your server flying
> > around (as it happened with my apsfilter, which has about 3
> > reincarnations - SuSE team, Debian team, LPRng team) ;-)
>
> Certainly, but the MOST important point is redistribution.  We surely
> do not want people to be making money by re-distributing (selling) our
> work...  Again, I am not a lawyer and I don't know all the various fine
> points about this, so please don't take my word for it, read our basic
> copyright if you have doubts/questions.

We don't sell the add on software. The FreeBSD CD-ROM is so damn
cheap that you can't speak of selling your software. It costs about
$50. And the ports collection contains in the meantime 1700+ ports.

The ports collection only is the Makefile mechanism. So your software
stays on your ftp server. Only if an end user decides to use your
software within the Copyright, he can use the ports collection to
assist in how to get it fetched, extracted, compiled and run.

We have many different ports, where the original files / acrchives /
sources aren't included on the FreeBSD cdrom ...

> > We have a LEGAL file where we can add these restrictions ... We could
> > even prohibit this software appearing on CD-Rom, but that's not content
> > of your copyright.
>
> Huh?  What means "that's not content of your copyright"?  I am told that
> re-distribution is THE point.  It may be that your ports folks feel
> that your CD-ROM is a method of re-distribution (I ceratinly would).

Then I misunderstood your COPYRIGHT file. I had not much time
before going to work this morning and English isn't my nothertongue ;-)

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?