Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 22:50:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/35644: lo(4) page presumes familiarity with printf.

The following reply was made to PR docs/35644; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: 08 Mar 2002 22:49:15 -0800

 Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org> writes:

 > I wouldn't object to this being documented in some
 > of the intro(X) manual pages, but I don't think it's wise to change
 > all the pages that use this notation.

 The "to much work" argument is OK by me, though I think it's really a
 nasty, ugly thing outside of sections 2 & 3 which can presume knowledge
 of "C" while I'd like to hope that many users know nothing of it.

 Documenting the esoteric symbol is a poor substitute for using a symbol
 understood by almost everybody, as many will not read or remember it,
 but I guess it's better than nothing.

 As to where it's documented, it seems to me that the man(1) page would
 be better than the intro(*) pages, but either will do OK.