Date:      16 Oct 1997 23:37:17 -0500
From:      stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
To:        adrian@virginia.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers List <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Rhapsody is 4.4BSD based!?

"Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu> writes:

> 	Has anyone else seen this?  Aparently Apples next generation OS
> is 4.4BSD based.  Do I smell a new emmulation to support?
>
> 	You can get the basics from the following PCmag URL:
>
> 	http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/news/trends/t971016a.htm
>
> 	I wonder which 4.4BSD they started with?  It is reported to be
> multithreaded.  I wonder if them mean kernel-multithreaded?

I'm not sure about the 4.4BSDedness.  I think they really *mean* to
say 4.3BSD updated with tools from 4.4BSD.  The kernel is still mach
2.5 (like NeXTSTEP) with BSD emulation layer, and as such it is a very
different beast than Free|Net|OpenBSD.

Emulation?  Well, the only emulation that would be interesting would
be the OPENSTEP based GUI stuff.  For that, see
http://www.gnustep.org/--however Apple is likely to add features
outside of the OPENSTEP spec, and I'm not sure what the future is of
the OPENSTEP API itself.  Presumably gnustep could try to clone the
rhapsody interfaces (or at least all apps to run)... not sure how
helpful apple will be with this, however.

--

Steve Farrell