Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 12:47:28 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup question, src/tools not updated, make release trouble

>Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
>One minor point:  Paths like /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current are rather
>FTP-specific.  We already have a de-facto standard place for the
>CVS repository, at /home/ncvs.  And the sup control files are under
>/home/sup, which we're more-or-less stuck with because it's hard-coded
>into everybody's supfiles.

But if we establish a new set of sup-files, who cares what "is in everybody's"

The standard files will still apply only to someone who gets "everything".
Otherwise, the update to the sup-files will destroy local modifications.

>  I'd propose that we standardize on /home/current or
>/home/FreeBSD-current, and likewise for -stable.

>Of course, those could be symlinks to whereever the mirror administrator
>wanted to put the actual files.

The argument AGAINST that standard is that the mirrors have to have the
files in /pub anyway.

The /home directory is usually under more administrative restriction than
is the /pub space.  Symlinks can go either way. Just because something has
been done that way in the past is no real reason to continue it ad
infinitum.

Actually, to handle the "local" case, I guess that we should distribute a
template that gets processed against the local specification file. The
default specification file can be essentially an identity transform.