Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 13:54:19 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        tomdean@ix.netcom.com (Thomas Dean)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3 days to E-day

Thomas Dean wrote:
> On E-Day, will 'make world' create an elf system?

It will make whatever the system is configured to default as. The default
is set by the file /etc/objectformat and the environment variable OBJFORMAT.
If neither of these are configured, then the default is aout. So, to answer
your question in another way, a make world on your system after E-day will
continue to build aout and you'll never get any elf bits until you
run the conversion.

If you stay as aout after E-day, all your installed ports will continue
to work, but any new ports you go to make will probably not build on
your aout system if they have been converted to elf.

> I use SMP.  I cannot afford to lose the ports.  Should I freeze my
> system two days from now?

Ports = yes. World = not necessarily, though that won't hurt.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137