Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 17:45:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Shawn Barnhart <swb@grasslake.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP and system loads

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Shawn Barnhart wrote:

> The previous system had been averaging about 45% CPU utilization, most
> of it coming from mrtg monitoring a longish list of devices.  After
> running most of the day on the SMP-enabled kernel, the load average
> doesn't seem to have changed any.

  Systems load average is not equal to or comparable to CPU utilization.
Apples and oranges.

> Now I realize that mrtg is mostly a perl script and isn't multithreaded,
> but given the fact that I'm running two CPUs, shouldn't the overall load
> average be no more than half of what it was?  I'm doing same units of
> work but have twice as much CPU available for doing them.

  No.  The load average should identical with the same load.  The system
load average is the average number of processes in the running (or in
short term wait).

  The best thing for your application is to split your mrtg.cfg file into
two, and run them through separate instances of mrtg.

Tom
Uniserve