Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 15:50:23 -0400
From:      Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftpd/wu-ftpd: login prompt delay

Does anyone have any ideas on this?  It didn't happen with the 2.1.7
ftpd.  Please don't make me resort to wu-ftpd, which returns a login
prompt right away.

Omar

-----Forwarded message from Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>-----

We're trying to use the stock ftpd on 2.2 machines running as webservers.
Hence, each server has a number of IPs aliased.

The problem is, on these 2.2 machines, ftpd takes a long time to return
a login prompt, preventing some users from connecting because their
software has too short of a timeout.  I get the "Connected to domain.com"
message immediately, but the login prompt takes a good 20-30 seconds more.

It's not a nameservice issue, because if I install the wu-ftpd port
(which I'm trying to move away from since ftpd seems to be developing
nicely), it returns the login prompt right away.

One thing I have found is that on machines that have only one IP,
the login prompt returns quickly.  It's these webservers with a
number of IP aliases that seems to be the problem.

Any ideas, advice, or commiseration?

Omar

-----End of forwarded message-----