Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:59:14 -0600
From:      Carl Fongheiser <cmf@iabears.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nothing but silence with 2 different sound cards?

I've been going nuts trying to get sound working on my system.  I started out
with a Creative Labs Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1371).  I added "device pcm" to my
configuration file, built a new kernel and rebooted.  No sound, but no errors,
either.  I didn't even get sound when I played a CD.

So, for kicks, I decided to try again with an Aureal Vortex2 card along with
the aureal-kmod port.  (Yes, I did remove the "device pcm" from my kernel
before doing this.)  The card was probed just fine, but still no sound.
Any ideas?

Oh, and my speakers are fine -- I plugged them into the headphone jack of
the CDROM drive to make sure.

I'm running 4.2-RELEASE on a Pentium III (866 MHz) on an ASUS CUSL2-C
(i815e chipset) motherboard and 256 MB RAM.

Here's the output of "mixer" (and yes, I did futz around with them.):

kf0yn# mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer bass     is currently set to  50:50
Mixer treble   is currently set to  50:50
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  94:94
Mixer speaker  is currently set to 100:100
Mixer line     is currently set to 100:100
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to 100:100
Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
Mixer line1    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75

And here's my sndstat output:

kf0yn# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Mar  8 2001 11:25:28
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Aureal Vortex 8830> at memory 0xf3800000 irq 5 (4p/1r channels duplex)

If I'm leaving anything out, let me know!

Thanks!

Carl Fongheiser
cmf@iabears.org