Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 2021 21:40:37 +0100
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best software for managing multiple freebsd & linux machines ?

--VRTnoToS6vnYk2OT

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 12:20:29PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:

>I have a SOHO network that I administer using SSH, Vim, CVS, various
>userland tools, and homebrew scripts (Bourne, Bash, and Perl).  The most
>important element is a networked version control system.
>
>If and when I need to administer many machines, I will learn a
>configuration management tool (most likely Ansible, because it is
>recommended by MWL).

Thanks for this. After looking at puppet for an hr or so, it's looking
to me like it's a tad too complex for my needs right now. But it might
be useful in eg having to restart a load of servers without logging into
each one via ssh.

I'm looking at sshfs atm - could make a dir for each machine and sshfs
into each from the host using keys. At least the sshfs way is not having
to run servers that would not otherwise be run. I can't restart services
this way though.
--=20
J.

--VRTnoToS6vnYk2OT