Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 12:47:39 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>
Cc:        bsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: expanding a live Swap partition

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Robert Chalmers wrote:

> I know this is a stupid question, but I don't suppose it's possible to
> expand a swap partition on a "live" system is it?
> I put together an experimental box, and dont really want to have to do
> it all again  :-)
>
> cheers,
> bc
> --
> Triple-W: P.O. Box 2003. Mackay. 4740       		   +61-0412-079025
> robert@chalmers.com.au for Whirled Peas		http://www.chalmers.com.au
> Location: Whitsunday Web Works.			21'7" S, 149'14" E.

No, you'll need to repartition if you want a larger swap partition
(though you can backup, repartition and restore, instead of a complete
installation). The other option is to use a file with a vnode driver to
simulate a partiton inside a file. Look in the archives/FAQ, but be
warned that this will degrade performance.

Nadav