Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:59:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Charlie Watts <cewatts@frontier.net>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: 3.3-RELEASE -> 4-STABLE

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Charlie Watts wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > I'd upgrade to at least 3.4-release (since there's some issues with
> > going from 3.3 and earlier to 4.0.  I'd then stop at 4.2 or 4.3 next,
> > since that seems to be the next good stop on the train.  I'd then shoot
> > for 4.5-stable from there, but be prepared to make a smaller leap if
> > necessary.  Mergemaster is going to be hell, since all the files in /etc
> > have changed since 3.3-release.
>
> Boy, if that didn't convince me to go with a backup/install cycle, nothing
> will. Hrm.
>
> Seems like the chance of screwing up with that many mergemaster cycles is
> pretty high.

	... one of the reasons that the author of mergemaster was the
first to suggest backup/re-install. :) There are way too many ways to
shoot yourself in the foot upgrading from that far back.

Good luck.

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?