Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:19:09 +0200
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make install KERNEL

In message <20001215105601.A73368@walton.maths.tcd.ie>you write:
}On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 09:34:03AM +0200, Danny Braniss wrote:
}> why are userland programs installed when installing a kernel?
}
}What directory are you in, and what command are you typing? If you
}are in /usr/src you should be typing something like "make installkernel"
}- with no space. If you are in /usr/src/sys/compile/NAME then you
}should be typing "make install".
}
}	David.

ok, i think i have to re-phrase the question :-)

The kernel gets installed, but some shell scripts from
/usr/src/sys/modules get installed in usr/bin or usr/sbin.

why?

i can answer some of my own question thus: they are related to kernel loadable
modules, so there is some connection. but so are many other programs
and they do not get installed when installing a new kernel.

in my case, i was installing to a nfs-root partition, with no usr, so to
get the install working, i ran make -k, and then had to check if the errors
where ignorable.

danny