Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2023 11:38:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      freebsd@oldach.net (Helge Oldach)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We need to do something about build times

Daniel Engberg wrote on Sat, 28 Oct 2023 10:48:04 +0200 (CEST):
> there's little we can do about upstream projects overall
> since the ports tree is after all intended for packaging not
> maintaining.

Excuse me? The tree is fundamentally designed to allow and support
maintaing and recompiling from source. What else would be the point of
asking users for options by means of dialog?

Actually that is the one major benefit over just installing binary
packages from somewhere: One can tailor port features as needed. In fact
I often do - be it only turning off NLS habitually.

I would mandate maintaing in hybrid mode: Compiling the personal
selection of ports with personally selected options from source, while
installing pre-built build (not run!) dependencies temporarily from some
repository: I don't care about rust, however I do care if compiling
clamav on my machine takes several hours, while spending the vast
majority of time building rust.

Kind regards
Helge