Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2001 20:32:03 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DLT 4000 throughput and cstream

Jose M. Alcaide <jose@we.lc.ehu.es> wrote:

> I am pipelining dump(8) to cstream (ports/misc/cstream), using this
> command line:

FWIW, when I tried cstream some time ago it didn't appear to live
up to its author's claims.  Personally I use misc/buffer for this
purpose.

> However, I am getting what a I think is a too low transfer rate
> (compression is enabled on the DLT unit). This is what I get with
> iostat(8):
>
>              sa0
>   KB/t tps  MB/s
>  60.59  22  1.31

I get 1.4 MB/s with compression _disabled_.

> Is this the expected throughput for a DLT 4000?

Well, does the tape stream?  I.e. does it run continously, or does
it drop back to stop-and-go mode?

I can't get my DLT4000 to stream properly with compression enabled.
I have no idea why.  The disk delivers 8+ MB/s, disk and tape are
on different SCSI buses.  I dump(8) to a holding partition and
transfer the complete archive from there to tape.  I'm left with
the conclusion that the DLT4000's compression engine can't keep up.