Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:23:47 +0800
From:      Swee-Chuan Khoo <sckhoo@asiapac.net>
To:        Satya Devireddy <satya@dspsoft.com>
Cc:        Paul Stewart <paul@kawartha.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding Hundreds Of Users

Satya Devireddy wrote:
> > I'm looking for a simple method of adding hundreds of users to a FreeBSD
> > box.  I can obtain a listing of username, password (one to each line in a
> > text file) by exporting a database on another O/S.  Can this be pumped
> > into a simple script or does adduser itself accept complete command line
> > variables?
> I did a test about 3 months back adding 10000 users.
> I took the script about aout 1.5 days to complete!!! (over the weekend)
> where as deleteing them took about 8hrs.

can we use pwd_mkdb to do that?

this will create pwd.db and spwd.db and by using scripts
to create your normal passwd & master.passwd.

i think this will only take a fraction of the time.

just my RM0.02

--
Swee-Chuan Khoo, sckhoo@asiapac.net | Not only do i speak for
http://www.asiapac.net/~sckhoo/     | myself; I am myself